Film Review #1


Hey guys!

So at the end of last year, I thought about starting a little DVD collection, and this one was the first DVDs that I found on the internet as a good fashion related film. So I when I went into town, in my bag it went! (You can get it on Amazon, this is the German link.)

I have to say, I had no expectations at all, I was just curious and a bit excited. After having watched it, I thought, maybe I could start doing little film reviews here and there as I stock up my collection and this is the first one that I will present to you.


The picture above has the German title on it but for the non-German people reading this, the English title is Coco Before Chanel. It's a biographical film about Gabrielle Chanel. It's not the typical documentation but it's made as a fictional story which shows only parts of her life and not the whole 'from birth to death' story. I really like that kind of genre because you get to know very much about the person that the film is about, but don't have to listen to experts all the time and instead you get to see a story. In this case, the makers intended to make the viewers identify with Gabrielle and see her life from her perspective.


As I don't want to give spoilers for the people who haven't watched the film yet but want to, and because it can be quite exhausting to read about the whole story in detail, I'll leave the content at this point and rather talk about why I liked the film so much and at the same time tell you why I would recommend it to you.

As I said before, I have not had any expectations on the film at all. I also had not really done any research on her or her life beforehand so I was really excited to watch the film!
I have to say, the film and Gabrielle Chanel herself based on what I now know about her and her life inspire me so much! She has not have an easy start in life - to be honest, she could not really be any more without a perspective in her life. But she has made it to be an independent, self-confident, and strong-minded woman who was always hard-working and chasing her dreams, even if she had not had many supporters, but rather people who wanted to hold her back and tell her, she could never make it in life on her own. She rebelled against the norm. May it be, how she behaved, how she looked, or how she lived her life in general. 
In my opinion, she was a true feminist and a true role model to me!


Also, I find that Audrey Tautou did an amazing job in impersonating Gabrielle Chanel. Showing her confident but very shy and introverted, and focussed but fragile and sensitive at the same time really impressed me and makes me want to watch more films with her in them in the future.

Have you seen the film? What do you think about it? Do you have any recommendations for me? I'd love to hear them!

Comments