Film Review #3

Hey guys!

Number Three of my film reviews is here and it is about my favourite film of all time, the German-Swiss-French drama film directed by Christophe Barratier: The Chorus (Original title: Les Choristes)!
Now, you may have already noticed, I might have a soft spot for French films and it may have started with this one.


The first time I saw this film was back in secondary school and I fell head over heels in love with it. The music (especially!!), the cute children, the heart-breaking story. It definitely has the cry-factor for me and I don't ever get tired of watching this film over and over since I got it for myself (I have even watched it in French several times, although I'm only at A2 level but I wanted to hear the original voices and you can obviously add subtitles if you so wish). Don't tell me, you don't want to adopt all of the boys from the spot after seeing this film!

The award-winning soundtrack of the film sung by the choir Les Petits Chanteurs de Saint-Marc including the Oscar-nominated song Vois sur ton Chemin can be bought separately, here is the link!

Not only was the film's soundtrack subject of nominations of big film awards but also the film itself was nominated in a whole lot of categories of film awards in France and even (!!!) at the Oscars and the Golden Globes! As I told you it being my favourite film of all time, I totally understand why that is. (This film is also the starting point of the French superstar's Jean-Baptiste Maunier career who plays his first and a leading role in the film - Morhange.)

Why do I like the film in the first place excluding the music? Well, it's set in an educational institution for 'difficult educable' boys and orphans in France after WW2. This of course is not really a reason to like a film but it creates a certain atmosphere which is a very important feature for the plot. Adding a slightly depressed, unsuccessful and disillusioned middle-aged composer and the combination of individual fates, it makes the film to a very touching piece with a feel-good ending, perfect for a 'down day' or just any day really when you want to be cheered up.
Highest recommendation alert! (And provide yourself some tissues!)

Coming to my favourite parts of the plot: Definitely no. 1, the scene when Monsieur Mathieu had created the choir and you can see the sparkle in the boys' eyes; no. 2, the scene in which Monsieur Mathieu catches Morhange alone in the classroom; no. 3, the choir scene with the contesse in the yard after the first verse; and no. 4, the scene when the paper airplanes fly down from the window.

You can see in this trailer what the film is about (broadly) as I don't think you would be interested in reading my summary and would rather enjoy actually seeing it:


I'd like to hear your opinions on this film! Also, which film is your favourite and why?

Comments